Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Journeys

Doesn’t it feel great when you have your whole life planned?  You know exactly how everything will go, career, family, finances, novel plot.  It’s a nice feeling to have it all lined up in front of you.

It’s not always a nice feeling when that all falls apart. I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason.  I know Heavenly Father sees more than we do and gives us what we need rather than what we think is the best plan.  Though, sometimes I wish he’d tell us first.  The funny thing is no matter how stressful that change in plans is I often find out it really is for the best. 

Same with my novel.  Sometimes I have it all plotted out perfectly. Then I get some feedback or a crazy idea shows up while I’m in the shower.  I fret and fume and say “I can’t do that, it’s crazy, and I have it all planned”.  But when I sit down and find out where this thought leads it’s usually to a better place.  While I’m a big planner and organizer (not an outliner though) I sometimes have to learn to let go of my list and just take a journey, even if I don’t like the destination I will have learned a lot.

8 comments:

  1. You know it! I've just given up two scenes that have killed me for months. And the WIP is better for it. I posted about that today.

    But the journey is long and sometimes we get tired. Good luck, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough letting go -- I still get stuck on it at times too -- but it gets easier with practice. Especially after you start seeing the good that can come of it too. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally learning that if I let go and let the book take it's direction, it'll end up stronger than whatever I thought I'd planned. Like before, when I said that on no account would Rosa get involved with the palace. She'd have her own emotional problems, and whatever plot took place, it'd be at home.
    And then Baha fell ill and she said "I'm going to ask the Sultan for help." What was I going to say, 'no, I'm too lazy to write and research all that for you?' ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, it is tough letting go, I guess I better start practicing now for when my kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I know. There have been a few times when I sigh realizing I need to add something new to my researching pile. It's a little easier for me since it's fantasy but I'm trying to keep it somewhat accurate.

    ReplyDelete