Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Blog it up, Baby

We've all heard people talking about the death of blogging, maybe we've even noticed fewer and fewer comments on our posts.  If we're only using blogging as a networking tool I could see how this would be troublesome and how someone might abandon blogging for other venues.

Michelle Davidson Argyle over at The Innocent Flower has a post on what blogging is to her.  She says that for her blogging is more like a logbook or diary.  Somewhere she can update on progress and talk things through, even if it's just with herself.  I can see her point.  Blogging isn't just about networking, it's about being able to think things through and detail things I've learned so I can always find them again.

But for me blogging is also about friendships.  And no I'm not talking about people I can use for guestposts and  count on to buy my book, I mean really finding people who are like me.  People who understand when I freak out about the plot, or description. Someone who understands the difficulties of writing, but also understands the joy, and the adrenaline of starting a new WIP. Finding out I'm not the only one is amazing. Coming out of the closet and knowing I don't have to hide anymore because there are others like me is one reason I love blogging.

Why do you blog?

13 comments:

  1. I blog to share experiences. I've never been on a set schedule because then it becomes a chore rather than an outlet for creativity.

    I've certainly declined in the number of blogs I visit and the comments I leave. It seems more and more like an advertising outlet than a place to connect with people with similar interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true about the chore vs creative outlet. There is a lot of marketing that takes place with blogs. But there's also a lot of people sharing good news with friends.

      Delete
  2. The connections and talking things through are exactly why I started blogging lo ye many years ago.

    I dislike it when an author starts up a blog because someone has said it's the thing to do, and then the blog is never updated. Blogging was never a quick path to success, and I'm happy to hear people are finally figuring that out.

    I'm glad if the networkers are quitting blogging. It will make it easier to return to blogging the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I would never think blogging was a quick path to success.

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes!

    Sara, love this post. I blog because I need the emotional support from other writers around me... it helps so much. It's very therapeutic for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very therapeutic. Everyone needs a support group!

      Delete
  4. For me, it would be the third paragraph of your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)I'm guessing that's what most people think.

      Delete
  5. For me, blogging is a combination of journaling, support, and a place to ask questions. Even if it is waning, I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I don't think blogging is dying. I think there are enough people who are getting what they want out of it.

      Delete
  6. Blogging is my connection to people who love writing and reading as much as I do, and who might be close to being as neurotic...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! I started blogging to get out of my writer's closet to move out of my comfort zone. Little did I know I would develop strong connections to amazing /bloggers/writers from all over the world. This connection is now why I blog. I never realized how supportive the writer's community was and how much I need that support. I just hope I can give back as much as I have received. (:

    ReplyDelete