Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Make an Impression



Do you ever come across an author, maybe in something unassuming, a blog post, an article in an online publication, that touches you so much, that even though they don’t speak about their work, you need to check it out? I’ve found a few authors that way. People I wouldn’t have come across otherwise, but that I’m so glad I got to know. This article did it for me. It’s an amazing post, and should be required reading for all authors. It really shows how books can save people.

The post is well written, the language engaging, the flow smooth, but that’s not what got me to check out his work. If you’ve read the article (if you haven’t go do it now) you’ll notice he hardly references his books at all.  He doesn’t spout log lines or back covers. He doesn’t use a hook or describe them in tantalizing ways. He doesn’t even offer sage writing advice. He wrote about himself, and others like him. He wrote about those who yearn. He wrote his heart.  And his heart touched mine.  That’s what makes me connect to a book. And having that connection in an online post makes me believe it will be in his novels too. 

This is the way to get people to read your books. Care. Help others. Have something to say and stand behind it. When people find you, they will find your books on their own. Even better, you just might help someone else who is struggling.

12 comments:

  1. I'll check it out!! It's true. When I meet people I love seeing them grow and when their books come out I can't wait to support them! Great post girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Something I need to remember, and something I wish others would remember. ;) Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a inspirational article! It's amazing to read about the power of literature, and how it can change lives, and you're right, of course. The article is so powerful, it makes me want to read everything that man every wrote.(Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so true. I have found authors in the taglines of articles and poetry that I've found online, and these are authors that didn't brag about their work at all. Then there are those who I've read something by, and I do an internet search on them because I hope that they've written more.
    Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He certainly does care. Books changed my life. I love hearing about how they've changed other people's lives too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you hit it with blog posts-- it's all about making that connection. The "how" is unique to each of us. Can't wait to check out this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post title, "Make An Impression", is particularly apt. Sometimes the impression comes from heavy impact. What emerges teaches itself; sometimes it learns great things. Moving post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great link, Sara! I love it when I come across something that great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story--thanks for sharing! It really drives home the point that you never know what other people are experiencing, and you never know how your actions may touch people. Quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that article. As an experienced high school teacher I can testify to the power of words and the tender hearts that hide within tough teen exteriors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard about this author, but based on his post, his caring about people as individuals, and his own personal story, I will look for them. You are right on, Sara, if authors are people first and writers second, people will find their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very true. I've gone on to support a few authors and a couple of musicians based on things like this. One reason social media *is* an important marketing tool - as long as the author/singer/whatever is being honest and sharing and not just trying to sell.

    ReplyDelete